Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oopsie

I'm a little cranky about this, so excuse the snarky attitude displayed in my writing today.


So LeBoyfriend and DD2, and his Brother and Brother's wife, all went camping in some remote area by a river, I think way outside of Fresno, and since I am not from this area, I have no clue really, where they were. I suggested they do something more local, with maybe a touch more civilization involved. Like maybe at least near a KOA campground, if not in it? I suggested that remote wasn't necessary. I suggested that there are things like bears. Snakes. And the occasional random injury that might require attention.

Nope, the immortality complex being what it is, they gleefully loaded up the two speed boats, and drove the boys' two big pickup trucks full of camping gear and off into the sunset they went. They have been there several days, and have had a ball.

Well, I presume they've had a ball. They are so remote there is no cell phone coverage. It's been nice and quiet here, and I've assumed no news was good news.

I got a call from Brother's Wife tonight, because "DD2 can't talk cos she's driving LeBoyfriend's truck and the boat." Huh? She has never driven anything like that.

Or maybe she has, and I just don't know that, but anyway, my comment remains. Huh?

Well, she had to drive the truck, you see, because LeBoyfriend was driving Brother's truck and boat.

Why isn't Brother driving Brother's truck? Oh, because Brother is in the emergency room.

Really.

Finally, I got some answers.

Seems they were jumping into a portion of the river that formed a sort of swimming hole. Brother jumped. He somehow hit the water wrong and had to have help getting dragged out. He was in tremendous pain in his back. He impulsively tried to get up and walk and that resulted in him becoming white as a sheet, dropping like a stone, and starting to shake and being diaphoretic and disoriented.

I'm sure I'll get more details later. At this point, the story delivered by Brother's Wife was a chaotic swirl of "hiked out to the trucks to drive and call for help, EMT's came and hiked in, radio call sent out for helicopter, firefighters called in to remove TREES so Med-Evac could land, and Brother was Med-Evac'd out to a hospital in Fresno."


After Brother was successfully airlifted, the rest of them had to break camp, load the boats from the river onto the trailers, and then my daughter began the adventure of creeping down the mountain driving a truck and trailer with a speed boat on it. With LeBoyfriend driving right in front of her biting his nails as he watched her drive his monster truck and boat for the first time, while he drove Brother's truck and boat.

This all took place at 1 pm? Or maybe the adventure began at 1? All I know is that it was almost 9 PM when they called to tell me this disjointed story, and they had arrived at the hospital and were with Brother. Neurosurgery was at the bedside doing a consultation for a compound fracture of his back, revealed by the MRI.

Apparently he is still moving arms and legs, so I find that positive. He will need a lot of treatment, immobilization perhaps, or quite possibly some surgery. More will be revealed.

Addicts just can't do anything the safe or simple way. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, I'm just saying this is how it seems to go. Their "thinkers" seem broken to me. Or maybe it's the immaturity that persists because the drug use got in the way of the maturing process. They had choices that would have been safer or closer to facilities in case of need. Bears and snakes turned out to be the least of the issues. Brother was brought down by a swimming hole.

Of course, it wasn't until my third phone call from them that they let it slip that the jump into the swimming hole was off a river bank from a height of about thirty feet.

Not smart.

I wonder if there was an officer of the law anywhere around during all of this? That would count as police contact, and oopsie….

None of them had permission from parole officers to be out of the county.

And the lessons continue!!


I think my crankiness is due to concern that she will lose her job(s) if she lingers there at the hospital, with the rest of the family. I suggested she hop a greyhound, come back and get back to work on time and then plan on spending a lot of time visiting him on weekends and helping out once he is transferred down here. But, her decisions are hers to make. If she wants to risk losing her income and the ensuing arguments with her Dad over her inability to pay her bills, that's on her. I will just pray for wisdom for her and healing for Brother. And maybe some maturity for the lot of them and some understanding of the fragility of the human body and life in general!


......sigh......


Edited to add: the boys' parents are at Brother's side; my daughter and LeBoyfriend are returning home tomorrow to resume work schedules on time. Surgery for Brother is Thursday morning (spinal fusion with rodding (2) and fixation, possible Allograft). If all goes well, once surgery is complete, discharge will be rapid, likely Saturday or Sunday, because once the fusion is done, the fracture can't really move or displace. They had Brother and Wife's five-year-old son with them for the camping trip and he's understandably worried about daddy since he witnessed the whole thing, but the firemen/paramedics/helicopter were both exciting and reassuring for him. Looks like this adventure will have a happy ending, and I am grateful!



6 comments:

  1. omg....I'll keep him in my prayers. So sorry to hear this. By the sounds of it, he's very lucky he's not paralyzed. This is the classic jumping into unfamiliar water of unknown depth story....from which people often become quadriplegics. Again...I'll pray for him. You sound impressively peaceful despite all of this. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another day in the life, huh.....

    Ugh. I will be praying for boyfriend. I am so glad he is moving his limbs and talking and breathing! Good Lord. What a wake up call.

    Bless your heart...I just know how all of that stuff feels when you are at home, its out of your control and all you can do is watch and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is lucky, but that is major surgery. He is young, which works in his favor, but bottom line..his life will never be the same. He will not be able to do everything he did before. All considered, he got the medical attention he needed, and quickly. God bless America, that would not have been the case in many places in the world.

    They are risk taker personalities. That's why they took drugs (IV drugs!) in the first place. But, geez, this could have all been so much worse..and if drugs had been involved!?
    Count your blessings, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Lou! he is very lucky! I hope some major lessons in being more prudent and cautious were learned by all of them. LeBoyfriend is really beating himself up over this, says he should have not let his brother jump off like that. But they are all 30-35 years old. It just shouldn't have been something they seriously considered. Hopefully, young Son took all of this in with his big blue eyes and learned something too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez Louise!!!! Never a dull moment! I'm just glad he's not paralyzed or worse. A few years back one of my co-workers fiance was out at The River for kind of a "bachelor's party weekend" the week before the wedding. He dived from a rock, broke his neck and died on impact.

    I'm also glad to hear that DD2 will be home for work so you and DD1 don't have to be in the middle of any unpleasantness between her and her dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...Worst nightmare! Glad to hear she made a good choice and will be home in time for work. Why the hell do they all think they are invincible.

    ReplyDelete