Monday, November 2, 2009

An old rhyme that came to mind

I was reading Lou's post of 10-31-09 ("This Is What It Is" is the title - sorry, I tried four times to imbed a link and Blogger is not liking me tonight!)

Anyway, it was about the impact of one child's addiction on his mother, and her five foot imaginary circle.... her comfort zone, and I think that mother was maybe alluding to being afraid to trust him, his current sobriety, whatever....

Lou ended with the comment:
"The wariness has penetrated all that I believed in about being a mother. It is here to stay."

I've never known if there was an author for the following little rhyme, and I can't recall what incident caused someone to share this with me, but it has stuck with me since I was very young. I've thought of it more than once, in the years of dealing with DD2's addiction, when we'd work at building up trust, only to have it broken down again....

Friendship is like good china,
beautiful, costly and rare,
when broken, not easily mended,
for the crack is always there.

I've found variations of this all over the internet, but no author. For me, my own version substitutes "trust" for "friendship".

(but still, we have hope!)


11 comments:

  1. Lou's post hit a lot of us. This is a really good little saying. I am going to save it. Thankfully we still have hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How powerful such a simple rhyme, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably takes a while, a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That poem puts it very nicely (and thanks for the mention). My love is always there, but I need to be shown that Andrew can be trusted. I've been trustworthy to him..he will have to show me the same.

    Through blogging I have learned to express my feelings to him. I tell him "you hurt me" or "that is unacceptable to me". I used to be so worried I would "push" him into using if I didn't guard his fragile feelings. Now I feel he needs to be called on it.

    Re your previous post: their total disregard for their health is staggering. Yet, they seem to survive it all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such true words. I will memorise that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the poem you shared and can totally relate to the trust issues we parents face with children who break our hearts.

    Yesterday we posted something at Glass House that I think you might find encouraging; at least I was encouraged as I wrote it. If you have a minute, drop by our blog and read Breathing Life into Dead Places.

    We will be praying for you,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavy stuff. Thanks for sharing! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that trust can be shattered just as you wrote. That is a hard thing to deal with. I'm grieving some of that today. Take care of yourself and don't give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard, no way around it. Just one of those painful life moments. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. every one here said it well.
    (have you tried live writer or scribefire? they are free)

    Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is an award for you at mine. x

    ReplyDelete