Monday, August 17, 2009


She is tired, but happy. They released her at 1:30 AM, I think, and two friends with multiple years of recovery met her in the jail lobby and took her for a veggie burger and then brought her home around 3 AM.

First order of business, happy hugs.

Second order of business, hair dye and toe nail polish... and a long shower!

At 8 AM, she and Sister met her Boyfriend at Starbux for a quick hug.....

And a coffee fix.

And then Boyfriend went back home, and she and I went to take care of some business. (This was the only almost-violation of probation's "no contact" order they plan. Probation said "contact inside NA meetings" and "public get togethers such as coffee or meals before or after NA meetings", was fine, so they will be at a lot of meetings for the next 30 days. Not a bad thing. Boyfriend reiterated to her he was not willing to push this. He kept telling her, "I'm waiting for you, you're worth it.")

I was her wheels..... and she chose her business to tackle for the day. She saw Milton (rehab counselor) for a hug and some direction. She went to Great Escape (a program that had told her, in jail, that they could facilitate admission to a residential treatment) and is weighing options for one or two. She has wanted to get in the Villa (women only) and concentrate on her recovery without the distraction that seems to come with co-ed programs. She is considering another one that is co-ed, if she can't get in the Villa.

The only frustrating part was going to Mental Health. It was huge for her to decide to go back on medication for her bipolar disorder while she was in jail. It leveled her mania and really helped her sleep regularly and normal amounts (instead of being up for five days straight, manic, and sleeping for a day or two, depressed).

Today she followed the instructions on her discharge sheet from the mental health worker in jail, and went to the officer of the day, to get her medications and sign up for whatever they wanted her to do for treatment.

An obviously disgruntled employee barked out a few questions, told her that "all they do is drug you up in jail whether you need it or not, for population control", and that he thought she was fine without the Seroquel (which was NOT either of the two medications she had been taking in jail). He then said that as far as he was concerned, she didn't qualify for treatment. With that he slammed a drawer, stood up and showed us the door.

She said "Thank you and have a great day."

And then cried in the elevator. She considered 5150-ing herself to the ETS unit of the psychiatric hospital so that she could get her meds. This guy would not listen to me when I told him, "please, she is homeless, jobless, assetless, and now getting manicy due to having missed her 4:30 AM jail meds". He had no idea who I was, just "her ride". He had no idea she was staying briefly with us. It was just over. And I had paid the fee on her last visit there, six plus months ago, that was supposed to cover her mental health expenses/treatment for a year.

She calmed herself down in the car, and asked me if we could visit a different location and a different officer of the day tomorrow. And could she please go home and take a nap, and go to a meeting tonight.

The nap idea sounded good, so we both crashed for a little while.

So that's what she's doing today, her first day out. Tomorrow, I'll drive her to check in with probation and she's going to see if probation will assist in getting her into any of the treatment places. If not, her boyfriend is offering to pay a huge portion of it. Enough to get her through to the portion that she begins working and paying her way. We may assist a bit, as its actually cheaper than sober home charges, and we had planned to help a little until she had steady income.

We're trying to stay out of the way, assist with rides, and keep our mouths shut, and not volunteer our two cents' worth. She has to work this out for herself.

I am proud of her efforts and her determination today. I hope she is able to work out the Mental Health issue. One of the friends who picked her up from jail is taking her Wednesday to try to get her on MSI, public health coverage, and that may also be of assistance for her psychiatric meds. I don't know....She'll just have to see what she can do.

I remain hopeful!


  1. All in all, sounds like a pretty darn good day. I think the women's only treatment sounds fantastic. Keeping your mouth shut is a feat in itself. At least, it would be for me.

  2. I wonder if probation could be of assistance with the med situation? I know my brother has had medicines provided by parole, but that could be entirely different? Good for you not giving your two cents, easier said than done for sure. It sounds like she is making positive & healthy steps in the right direction. Shame on mental health, or at least the person that saw your daughter...sorry, couldn't help myself:) God Bless

  3. Some of the people in mental health shouldn't have ever been hired. Sorry they treated her so badly.

  4. You know I'm in your neighborhood and I'm familiar with The Villa. A couple of options:
    The Lynn House (in Costa Mesa) has a 30 day free program...hard, but not impossible to get into.
    S.P.I.N.-Program that helps homeless girls get into sober living and get jobs. Pays deposit and 1 weeks rent for 6 months.
    Friendship Shelter (in Laguna Beach) has a 2 month free program. Really hard to get into, but free medical while there (all donated).

    I can email you phone numbers is she can't find them. Best wishes to you both.

  5. I'm very happy for you. Sounded like a perfectly wonderful day with just a splash of negativity from a disgruntled mental health employee ...I hope she gets the meds she needs from a more positive person.

  6. It seems that the day got better and that you both dealt with the grumpy worker as needed. Hang in there.