Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A bit of blathering on

DD2 got a job, first job interview out... She has such a confident presence about her when she is sober - she may not feel it, but she's got the act down cold!! .... The guy took one look at her resume, looked her in the eye and said "quit pulling down your sleeves, the tattoos are fine, and so are piercings!"

He said NOTHING about the expansive time gaps between her job listings. And they are apparently felony-friendly.

They then entered an "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" thing - he had very impressive full sleeving of both arms (with tattoos).... He liked her Hawaiian flowers on her right arm....

And she got the job three minutes later. Working in debt consolidation again, explaining debt reduction programs to in-bound callers (way easier than cold calling out-bound and getting hung up on, all day). Starts tomorrow morning, casual wardrobe, and will make enuf to cover her rent. Barely.

Boyfriend will keep her in cigs. I'll keep her in a few extra groceries, and the occasional bus pass.

I did a happy dance around my chair and wished her the best of luck with it.


I'm going to a meeting at Milton's place (The Other Place listed_here) this Friday night. If anyone is local and interested, it's an open meeting, (SK&SB) and a good one! A boy I've known/watched for about three years, a friend of DD2, is the speaker for the meeting, and he asked her to ask me to come. (Besides, I'll get a hug from my friend Milton!) The speaker's the guy that picked my daughter up from jail at 1 AM ("cos parents aren't supposed to have to do that shit, oops, sorry Mrs. X!") and he's a real sweetheart. Milton didn't give him "an ice cube's chance in hell" at sticking with the program, when he first met him, and is delighted today to call him a brother in the fellowship.

Anyway, I will probably go to the Lifelines meeting at The Crossing Church the next Friday night. I really enjoyed that one and plan to stay for the Women's codependant small group afterwards.

I knew you'd all like that peek at my social calendar. ;)

I've probably posted this before, but I love this thought and keep it on a sticky note, on my desk.... it bears repeating!

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard

(I Googled the phrase and apparently Carl Bard said it?.... if that is incorrectly attributed to him, I'm sorry!)

Wishing us all a productive and peaceful day!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, much progress is being made!!! Good for her and the new employer for not being judgmental and close minded. I wish I could attend the meetings you mentioned. I have to pretty much do any of my meetings online or just get support through the blogs...such is the life in a small town in N. Cali:) Happy for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD FOR HER!! Tell her congratulations from all of us who visit!! It is a very positive step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You going to meetings and learning from what you hear there is going to help immensely in the future (whatever it holds).

    Felony friendly..ha,ha..I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip Hip Hurray for your girl!!! That's great news. Also, love hearing your social calendar! Mine is pretty empty (but I like it that way)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting a job so quickly is great news. Some of these girls get so discouraged on job hunt.

    I don't know which house DD2 is at, but there is a gal also named Karen...has a daughter named Jessica. They used to come to The Lynn House meeting on Wednesday nites, but haven't seen them recently. They all know me as Tall Karen.

    I would really love to meet, so I'll try for Friday. Never been to an NA meeting, but the solution is the same for all of us. You give the others here so much hope with your daughters positive progess. Keeping her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that your daughter got the job. That is great news.

    ReplyDelete