Friday, May 29, 2009

Tagged - Six Things....

I was tagged by Mom_and_Dad over at An Addict in Our Son's Bedroom... This was a really fun little exercise!

Six Unimportant Things That Make Me Happy - from Number 6, counting down to my Number 1!!

6. Sitting with my husband on our back porch in the cool, early evening, watching the pleasure he derives as he watches his three Little People (the three small dogs, not to be confused with the two large dogs!) run madly around the back yard, chasing each other, rolling, tumbling, ducking under chairs and around plants, until they finally flop down beside the water bowl to recover. (DH rescues dogs! We have a houseful!)













(my camera just can't catch them when they are running around with that cloth frisbee at warp speed! Click on pic to enlarge.)

5. Contact with those in recovery of any type (this is a simple thing, but not really an Unimportant thing! and it makes me happy).

5a. Checking the blogs of my new blogging friends in various types of recovery. They encourage me every single day! I come away with a new thought, a new perspective, every single time!

5b. Sitting in a F2F meeting where Milton shares. His ESH effects me just like those I mentioned in “5a.”

4. Walking/jogging up at the reservoir a mile from my house. 1.7 miles around, and I try to go around twice. Good for my mood, and great for my health.

3. A success at an attempt at being frugal makes me smile! Trying a new idea, succeeding and thereby saving some $$$, for me is simple, but makes me happy!

Now I’m going to tell you just how odd I am, I guess. One example: I take great pleasure in making my own laundry detergent, glass cleaner, etc. (Just like our grandmothers did!) When DH and I go to Costco or Sams, I always turn the cart down the soap aisle and point out to him that I don’t have to pick up that $17.00 jug of laundry detergent, or that $7.00 refill glass cleaner bottle….because I make my own for pennies. Literally. The reason for my obsession with Frugality?

Frugality is one step on the long road to accomplishing The Dream: a small farm in Tennessee where I am semi-retired, and extremely self sufficient (verging towards off-grid), with chickens for eggs and fun, a lifetime supply of timber for heat, a well, a small farm house with a large sewing studio, a garden, and maybe, just maybe, a few alpacas and goats.

Yep, I’m looney. And yes, this economy has definitely screwed with The Dream, what with my house value cut in half, and my investments (what few I had) plummeting, and of course, the never-ending business challenges. So these days, I’m REALLY glad when I win one (have a frugal idea that works), and can say “Take that, damn economy!” One simple part of trying to reach that dream that I enjoy involves wandering around on landandfarm.com and realtor.com looking for the perfect farmette in eastern Tennessee, in the vicinity of Pigeon Forge. Keeps me focused on trying to reach The Dream.

2. The sounds of my daughters upstairs while they are getting ready to go out, putting on make up, talking, sharing the events of their lives, laughing, and the scents of their perfumes drifting over the railing to me, below. This is music to me!

1. Time in my sewing room, cutting up perfectly good fabric into smaller pieces, and then sewing it back together again…. And subsequently creating something beautiful and useful!












I made this quilt for my husband for Christmas last year. Click to enlarge - it looks way better close up! He likes sunflowers, and we always try to grow some, with varying success each year. It is king sized and has since been completed with a narrow binding around the edge.

I think I'm supposed to tag some more folks, but not sure who else has been tagged by the others that Mom'nDad tagged, so will just say, hey, if you've not been tagged on this one, why not DO IT! We'd all learn some interesting things about each other!

Wishing everyone a peaceful, restful weekend!

:)

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Continue with the dream. Nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my kind of woman! I love all those things. But #1 will forever be a dream, since I cannot sew. Your creations are really something, and that quilt is the most beautiful I have seen yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what is your recipe for laundry soap and window cleaner??? Come on, fess up.:o) I love your dream. We currently have 8 little chicks and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thank you for stopping by and reading my 55, your comments are always welcomed. I hope you visit again -- hopefully often.

    I really enjoyed your 55 as well -- excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list of sixes!

    the running the dogs, the meetings and sewing so much that is good for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello:

    I just stopped by to say hi and enjoyed your posts. I also live in SoCal. What city are you in? I'm in Irvine in the OC. I just started blogging for the 1st time this week. I read Lou's entire amazing story and she sent dozens to welcome me! Wow! This is all so overwhelming still! Hope to hear from you.

    God bless,
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list is awesome. The dogs and in my case cats too are the most relaxing part of my day. They come stress free and want nothing more to serve us. We just acquired a third dog and my attention must be on her training for awhile which i'm grateful for.

    ReplyDelete