Friday, February 20, 2009

20 years!

I took in a meeting tonight with one of DD2's friends in program, Big John. Got to see Milton take his 20 year birthday. He runs a fantastic rehab program here. It has the reputation of being "the toughest program in the county". Milton can do "tough". But I've seen his heart break over those he works with, too. He's a teddy bear inside; he just doesn't show it much.

I got to give him his quilt, and I got about six hugs! Hmmmm, I think he likes it!





























He asked about DD2, and I was able to pass along her love and birthday wishes for him. He and I both hope she'll be back in that room one day, because in the walls of NA, there are answers and there is hope. She's done it before and almost got two years! She can do it again. It's up to her. I wish I could do it for her. But I can't. (I'm mindful of those 3 C's!)

Tonight was a good night. I was able to speak with a mom who was celebrating 7 years tonight.... with her daughter with her (who was celebrating a year!) and a son who is "out there doing more research!" Yeah, I could definitely empathize with her. She spoke a few words when she took her chip and I could hear so much of my own emotions in her words. But all in all, a good night - so filled with hope and optimism and celebration!

:)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I am sure he was thrilled with the love and time that went into that piece of art! Happy B'day to him!! Sounds like a great night of hope and inspiration! Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful quilt. Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog and hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special recognition for him. It has to be the world's hardest job.

    ReplyDelete